Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 142-146

We may run, walk, stumble, drive, or fly but let us never lose sight of the reason for the journey or miss a chance to see a rainbow on the way!

Well this is it and much to everyone's relief, I made it home safe and sound! I enjoyed a relaxing last few days in Ghana, doing nothing work or family related but rather taking some time for myself to process the experience I have just completed. I spent an entire afternoon by the pool, went to the market for a final round, and sat for 5 long hours while my hair got braided! Then it was only a matter of packing up my luggage and counting down until I left for the airport. It is definitely a transition moving from living in the Ghanaian culture for nearly 5 months and having to come home only for everyone to expect you to jump in where you left off. What they don't understand that is to me, it feels like life in the Western world has been on pause and by no means does it seem like fall or the holiday season. This opportunity will clearly be a stepping stone to my future. It has shown me a lot about volunteering in developing countries and what kind of work I'm drawn toward if I decide to pursue medical missions abroad. The hardest question to answer seems to be the most generic one of all that I get asked by everyone: "How was Ghana?" To me, it's like where do I possibly begin. I know most people likely just want to hear "oh is was great" and move on but there are so many things to talk about if only everyone was truly interested. Where to start... the complete differences in lifestyle, Central Regional hospital in Cape Coast, leprosy camp, medical outreaches, Tetteh Quarshie hospital in the hills, my time with UNiTED and the wound management program, HardtHaven Children's Home, weekend trips, host families, and so on. In all honesty, everything I will take away is so meaningful to life but really only something I can completely understand in depth.

I had the pleasure of spending one day in London with my Cape Coast roommate Shadee as part of my transit on the way home. The shock of being in England was probably made 10x worse as it was my first exposure to Western industrialization. It was actually slightly overwhelming to take in the new sights, busy city, transportation system, and modern conveniences. It sounds a bit silly to everyone else I'm sure, but I will never forget the moment I felt hot water flowing from the faucet for the first time (in the London Heathrow airport restroom!). To top it off, I enjoyed the longest hot shower where I could have stood there lifeless, allowing the water to flow over my body for the entire night. I really enjoyed learning how to work the underground tube system to get virtually anywhere in the country. Yes, I got to ride on top of a double decker red bus, which toured all of the major sights including the Royal Palace, Big Ben, Eye of London, St. Paul Cathedral, Tower Bridge, London Bridge, and the Royal Parliament. I saw many traditional red phone booths and mail boxes and of course the black taxis. We went shopping on Oxford Street and one of the most prestigious stores called Harrods. I got fed very well by Shadee and her lovely family, especially coming from having no variety in meals to being offered platters of vegetables, meat, potatoes, dessert, and the traditional English breakfast. What more would my time be in England without taking numerous cups of tea! I found that English people all dressed in nice business attire, lots of pea coats and scarfs, and are some of the most respectful people with great customer service and accents! Because it was my first time out of Ghana, it is also where I experienced a lot of my firsts again: freezing weather (thanks for the winter jacket and scarf to Shadee and her sister as I arrived off the plane wearing my dress and flip flops!), not sleeping under a mosquito net, actually cuddling under a comforter and blanket, waking to a dark and quiet room free of chickens, music, or people sweeping, etc. Driving on the opposite side of the road was not as scary as I imagined, only had to consciously remind myself to enter on the other side of the car. The best part was when we had almost arrived to our destination and Shadee looked at me saying, "Heather you forgot to buckle up! We can get a ticket for that here!" It never even crossed my mind as in Ghana I got in the habit of just getting in the car and sitting down. Funny how it used to be the very first thing I would do when I sat down but safety went out the window in Ghana! The environment in England was beautiful with green pastures and towns with the small, cottage feel to them. Most of all, I appreciated the detailed architecture of all the buildings lining the city streets. It made me feel like I was walking in ancient times. I thoroughly LOVED my day in England and will definitely be making a return trip there one day! I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to share another day of our lives together after 100 days since we last departed, but this also meant reality set in and I was on my way HOME:)

After a very long flight, I was reunited with my family and greeted with a bowl of Froyo right at the airport! It felt magnificent to give everyone a hug but it will take time to adjust to my previous life again. I want to thank all of my followers for devoting your time to reading my blog. I hope it served the intended purpose to not only share my adventures along the way, but encourage everyone to invest your own time into pursuing your dreams whether they be big or small. 

In the spirit of Thanksgiving and as one of the best ways to reflect on my experience in a depth that is hard to explain, I decided to accumulate a list (which I'm sure will constantly grow in my mind) of things I've always taken for granted but since have learned the simple things in life to be thankful for:
-running water that is both hot and clean
-reliable electricity
-private car that is safe to travel in
-my independence
-paved roads with minimal potholes and an extensive freeway network
-accessible and quality healthcare and education
-even walkways so you can look out instead of down
-few flies or insects and mosquitoes that are free of malaria
-variety of food to choose from and quick food preparation
-supermarkets that make one stop shopping possible
-comfortable seating in the home, cars, and public
-public toilets instead of squatting over open drains behind someone's house
-dust free environment to keep the air and buildings clean
-underground sewage system
-public garbage cans to make disposal environmentally friendly
-materialistic goods such as electronics, clothing, and forms of entertainment
-punishment that does NOT involve any form of corporal punishment i.e. caning
-quality family relationships with time for casual bonding and supportive/ involved parents
-safe, enclosed housing that protect from the elements
-washer and dryer to make laundry quick and easy
-sense of privacy especially in the hospital setting
-concept of time and efficient work ethic to promote customer service
-high speed internet connection in the home and free wireless in public

It is also only fair to thank the Ghanaians for teaching me ways of life that even my own people should take the time to learn from:
-greeting individuals as you walk past each other no matter what time of the day or what kind of mood you are in
-children who are respectful to anyone who is older than them
-beginning the day early with work and household chores
-clean maintenance of the school and home grounds
-community effort and trust to look after everyone's well being
-dressing up and faithfully attending church even when you have very little
-people selling all sorts of goods from their heads only to earn little profit (but allowing buyers to shop easily right out the car window)
-school uniforms and children who wear them proudly, not passing a judgmental attitude toward their peers
-no inhibition to speak your voice or sing loud and proud in public
-finding and being satisfied with cheap forms of entertainment such as music and dancing, playing with a stick and bicycle rim, bottle caps, or just sitting around to socialize
-incredibly responsible children who care for their younger siblings
-showing me that you don't have to have before you can smile, laugh, and be happy!!! 


There are so many things we can choose to ignore in life and decide to just continue on living how we do or we could really take into consideration what we see, hear, or read and use it to change the ways we think about life and possibly even impact the world around us. Though my lists are likely not all inclusive, it goes to show you there are pros and cons to every culture. Don't think because we have the materialistic things, advanced healthcare and education, or modern conveniences that we have it all because the truth is we do not live in a perfect society and there are many things we not only lack but can learn from those in developing countries. They have just as much potential as any other human on earth, the only difference being the circumstances of life we are brought up in. Know that you can make a difference in someone's life. You do not have to have much before you can give. The most important thing is a warm and open heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment