Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 126-141


The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are!

Too often the media shows only the negative in the world, including what life is really like in Africa... Yes, there is a significant amount of poverty. People are living off of next to nothing, wonder where their next meal will come from, walk miles for clean water, access to healthcare, and reliable education. BUT what is forgets to show is the hidden potential in the locals themselves. Not everyone lives in mud huts. Kids are not surrounding you, wasting away to malaria or being malnourished. I am not in denial that these things do exist, but the truth is Ghana is a developing nation and a lot of positive aspects are being introduced into the communities. There is that old saying that "if you give a man a fish, he survives for a day; but, if you teach a man to fish, he survives for a lifetime!" I believe that although giving allows for an immediate impact, it is just as important, if not more, to teach the locals so that they will become self sustaining when all help is gone.

Sorry for the slack in keeping my blog updated. These past two weeks have just been spent soaking in the Ghanaian culture. I have definitely seen more than I can possibly ever remember. There is such a range of social status just out the doorstep, even in developing countries. I have stayed with a wealthier family in Tema but last week it was brought to my attention that in a nearby community, it represents life in the slums. The drains were filled with garbage, houses were completely run down, no roads paved and barely even drivable on, and kids were walking around in torn clothes, wearing no shoes. Yet our mission, in the private car, was just to attend to the market and return home to the fenced in house, generator, tv, proper kitchen, and even wireless internet. How can privileged families see this exist practically from their backyard, knowing how fortunate they are compared to other community members, yet go home without giving it a second thought? Then again, if I reflect on life back home and travel to the right places, I am sure I would be faced with the same question.

With all intentions to make a long trip to northern Ghana for my last two weeks here, I had to make the decision to listen to that inner voice telling me for whatever reason not to go... It took a while to accept what I was feeling and break the news to my travel partner that I didn't feel right about traveling, but in the end I am at peace with listening to my heart. Instead, we made for a quick 3 day trip to Kumasi to conquer the largest open market in all of West Africa (Kejetia Market) and then have a relaxing day at Lake Bosomtwi. The market was so busy and intriguing to walk around. This also means it was overwhelming to take in the sights of people selling and buying anything you could ever imagine, walking on the uneven stony pathway, smelling the horrible stench in the air as we made our way (rather quickly) through the fish and butcher section, and just exploring. Although chaotic and nearly impossible for the tourist to stop and buy anything without being shoved up against someone trying to make their way through the narrow path, the market was actually set up in an orderly fashion grouping produce, meats, animals, clothing and textiles, home products, etc. all with each other. I am blessed with my wonderful sense of direction, not only for preventing myself from getting lost in all the shuffle of the some thousand shops, but also enabling me to walk the streets of the city center and gain a real sense of the atmosphere and daily lifestyle of those living in the capital of the Ashanti Region. At the lake, we rented a private chalet to rest in and enjoyed delicious food from some of the friendliest staff I have ever met while in Ghana. They actually seemed like they had good customer service and were happy to work if it meant making our stay that much more enjoyable. Basically the entire day consisted of a short morning walk to the nearby village, laying out on the beach in my bikini, listening to music, and eating. The only disappointment was the water along the shoreline had this green film on the top making it unlikely of any swimming. Oh and our room had a full length mirror! I know it sounds crazy, but I have only caught a glimpse of my face now and then and to come to a resort and see my entire body... oh the simple pleasures in life :)

I decided to go back to the hills and spend some time with my previous host family. My welcome home was just as I imagined! As soon as I walked through the gate, Kweku, Jessica, Samuel, Nancy, and even Emmanuel came running out to give me a giant group hug! They were so excited to see me. Jessica immediately told me I can teach her her homework like old times. She said I'm a good person because I help people with what they need. I am always willing to help around the house. It kind of makes me annoyed living with three male volunteers because they always leave the dishes behind in hopes that the kids will come around and clean up after them (which they do). They will see me cleaning up and not even come offer to help. The kids' faces always light up in surprise when I offer to help. They ask me why I am so helpful and my response is always because they are such great kids and hard workers; they deserve a break especially when it's something I am perfectly capable of doing. It's not my place to be here and constantly be served as a guest. I want to be part of the family. I know I have made my point clear as Dina occasionally asks me to set the table, run to buy oranges or minerals, etc. That's exactly how I like it because I can see she trusts me enough and is not afraid to ask. It seems like the light has been going out much more frequently than in the past. Almost on a daily basis, making it very hard to plan for charging any electronics. Dina called the kids into the room earlier than normal for bed and as I sat outside, I could hear them singing hymns together. Very sweet! I realized that is what I will soon be missing out on. Both Jessica and Samuel celebrated their birthday. It was very nice as Dina prepared homemade pizza, chicken, and fanice. We were all invited to join in and enjoy the meal outside. One of the Ghanaian traditions I had heard about was pouring water on the person as a reminder of when they were born. You better believe we turned it into a water fight! Evenings are always spent helping with homework and playing in the courtyard. All four kids were fighting over who got to brush and style my hair. They refer to me as their older sister, auntie, and mom. I love them all so much and am thrilled I had the opportunity to return even if it was for a short visit. Saying goodbye for a second time was much harder, practically bringing tears to both Jessica's eyes and my own, as this time I'm not sure how long it will be before I return. They always ask if I will come back again, which is always a difficult question to answer. It's wonderful when nobody wants you to leave. Of course I want to come back and visit but it's just a matter of when... Jessica says she is not happy I came to visit because I should stay FOREVER!!! I stare into each of their eyes, reflecting on how special they are and how great they have made my experience. I big thanks to Dina for opening her home to me once again, providing a place to eat and sleep and just be welcomed back as part of their family!  
Birthday Party! Back: Auntie, Elizabeth, Edna, Kweku, Dina. Front: Nancy, Samuel, Jessica
 The worst thing that happened was going to look at the pictures that the kids took earlier in the day when at that moment I realized ALL my pictures had been deleted from my camera! I saw my previous month and a half of life that was on this memory card flash before my eyes. Volta trip- gone. Tema- gone. Kpando- gone. Wound outreach- gone. Children's home- gone. My everything- GONE. It didn't take long before I busted into tears. Words couldn't possibly describe what I have experienced. Pictures give true meaning. It's ironic because the thought of everything being deleted crossed my mind when the kids were playing with my camera so I taught them never to press the button, then to learn that it was actually a Projects Abroad staff member who is my age... oh the anger and immediate change in mood as you can imagine. From that instance I was willing to do whatever it took to recover the lost images. I didn't find it possible but to my delight and much relief, you will be happy to hear I did in fact get the pictures back!!!

After months of counting down, I am now realizing how incredibly fast my time in Ghana has passed. It was about one year ago that I started planning my adventure and now the days have come and gone. It's a very difficult thing to express in words what I have experienced in this time away from home. I am now at my final days which have been filled with knowing it's my lasts: sleeping under a bed net, taking a bucket shower, drinking out of a plastic sachet, tolerating unexpected cuts in power, using an internet cafe, relying on public transportation, wearing mosquito repellent as if it was the new trend, and so on. I am so thankful to be given this opportunity, which has already opened many doors to future possibilities. I thank God for my health, safety, and guidance down this amazing path he calls his perfect plan for my life! I sit in hope that I will have the passion to continue and serve others once I return home and enter into reality. Serving the locals in my own community and contributing to those I have already impacted abroad. I wish everyone the chance to travel and not only see, but actually experience life from a different perspective!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment