Monday, May 11, 2015

Part Two



"Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey." ~Pat Conroy

It has now been almost 3 years since I last stepped foot in Ghana, West Africa and the thought of returning has never left my mind. I constantly think of the people I encountered, places I saw, and memories made, not to mention the ways in which those served also touched my life. I ended my previous post saying there will be a part two of my adventures and this is it! I leave in 48 hours...

The purpose of my travel will actually be much different than my last trip. In an effort to complete my graduate practicum hours to fulfill the program requirements for my MPH degree, I will be involved in a five week maternal and newborn health research project. As part of the Millennium Development Goals, improving maternal and newborn healthcare is an international priority. Factors which either influence or impose limitations on maternal and newborn health services are multidimensional at the individual, community, cultural, and national levels, thus raise fundamental public health concerns and the necessity to devise a plan of action for assessment, intervention, and evaluation. A lack of access to quality services has profound implications on the maternal and neonatal mortality rates in developing countries such as Ghana. These populations often live in impoverished, rural areas where significant barriers to optimal maternal and newborn health exist. As such, I will be evaluating the services offered through Kpando Health Center by direct observation and interviews with the Ghana Health Services director, staff in the antenatal, delivery, postnatal, and newborn departments, and patients receiving care. Based on conclusions, I will write recommendations as to what is good within their current system, what needs improvement, and how this can be implemented. This will aid in their current process of upgrading to a polyclinic status and help develop reasonable interventions to address maternal and newborn healthcare needs. I am looking forward to gaining insight into global maternal and newborn health, as it will not only benefit the local community but also support my nursing career by giving me a unique clinical perspective as I eventually plan to transition into becoming a nurse in the NICU. 

The opportunity to return to a place significant in my heart is thrilling as I will be able to continue pursing my dream of serving vulnerable populations in the developing world while working within a familiar environment. Having already been exposed to the culture and living conditions, I know what to expect and what emotionally draining circumstances may transpire. Although electricity/internet access will be sporadic, I hope to update my blog frequently to keep everyone connected with my journey. When I talk of my aspirations, people seem to be impressed and put me on some pedestal. I assure you that I am nobody special...just a young woman who is following God's will and doing what makes me most satisfied with life! So please just enjoy sharing in my experience for what it's worth, keep my safety and health in your prayers, and hope that I can be a blessing to others.

"The Lord will keep you from all harm- He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." 
Psalm 121: 7-8



    

No comments:

Post a Comment