Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 98-114

Opportunities don't come with their values stamped upon them. Everyone must be challenged. A day dawns, quite like other days; in it a single hour comes, quite like other hours. But in that day and in that hour the chance of a lifetime faces us!

First of all I have to apologize for not writing in a very long time and secondly that means there is so much to say but unfortunately this posting will have to be kept short. Continue reading and you will understand why...


Since the last time I wrote, I have moved to Kpondo, Volta Region to volunteer with the organization UNiTED for three weeks. I am basically living the Ghanaian lifestyle. It is a very rural location with not much in the surrounding areas. In fact, today I traveled for 7 hours (partially due to transport issues) just to reach reliable internet access. My home is a traditional family compound with one room rented out for volunteers. Again, no running water, flushing toilet, shower, or good source of electricity. The power goes out every four days and anytime it rains. Our water is sometimes on distribution, meaning it will be shut off so that other communities in the area can get some supply. Therefore planning when to wash laundry, shower, or charge any electrical devices has to be careful. Oh and it can't ever be when it's raining because the town basically puts life on hold as nothing can be accomplished. You can't wash as your clothes can't be hung on the line to dry. You can't go use the computer that is housed in this little shack because the power goes out. And you can't shower unless you really wanted to because my shower is outside. It is a small concrete surrounding in the yard that is open to all the "elements". I know it is sounding really negative but I have actually really enjoyed this part of my trip. It has put the typical African lifestyle far more into perspective than before. We also have a pet monkey named Charlie! I thought my trips to the monkey sanctuaries were cool but now I can walk outside my bedroom door everyday and know I have Charlie to entertain me, feed out of my hand, or even hold!


My work day here begins extremely early and lasts all day. I wake up at 5 am so that I can be ready in time and walk twenty minutes to the village to visit a 15 year old girl who has a leg wound before she leaves for school. From there I continue making home visits to four others, each with wounds, before walking all the way back to town and into the market to see my last patient. This is my main focus while in Kpando. I have initiated the development of a wound management program to reach out to the distant communities and teach the locals how to treat their wounds effectively to bring about healing. Some of the stories you wouldn't believe. For instance, one woman has had her wound for 50 years after getting bitten from something in the bush! Another walks around the market with her foot completely exposed to the flies, dirt, and rubbish on the ground. She has had her wound for 14 years! Most believe they have been spiritually attacked by evil and that is why their wounds haven't healed. Some have sought medical attention but can't afford the regular attendance for dressing changes of GHc5 ($3) each time, so stop going completely. They then rely on local products like herbs in hopes it will treat the wound. On my first visit to assess the referrals, I found that nobody used soap to wash the affected area and a couple didn't even boil the water. Their hospitality is unbelievable though. I am most welcome everyday when I come and thanked a million times for my service. A local man is helping translate which has been extremely helpful.

Market Woman
I didn't realize how frustrating program development could be in a third world country. The biggest issue for me is the funding and supplies. It's difficult to balance wanting them to be self sustaining after I go and know how to properly care for their wounds, which often means utilizing local goods like fabric for gauze or a bandage, and wanting to introduce actual gauze and antibiotic ointment for better management. The only problem being you can't find most supplies here. I went to four different pharmacies in town and not a single one had gauze! Then I reflect back on the specialized supplies we have made specifically for treating wounds and realizing no wonder they have had some of the sores for so long. There is no such thing as a wound vac, cavity fillers, tegaderm, etc here. With me knowing the possibilities for treatment if only we were in my country, it is quite annoying to accept I am doing the best I can with what I have. Everyday I am told thank you for trying your best, when in actuality I feel so much more could be done. I do have to say THANK YOU so so much to Marsha Cork and her family for their kind donation long ago that has finally been spent on a good cause. A program I personally am developing and helping out 6 fortunate individuals with supplying a bar of soap, sponge, elastic bandage, antibiotic ointment, and clean container. This is a project I hope will be established well enough before I go so it can be maintained.

I have also been working on developing an educational pamphlet on basic wound management to distribute to the communities. It includes the process for washing, sterilizing supplies, signs of infection, causes of wounds, proper nutrition, and alternative medicines. UNiTED is involved in many community health education projects in addition to what I have been doing. I went to the local hospital one day to hand out brochures on topics such as malaria, AIDS, and diabetes. Then I attended an HIV/AIDS clinic which is held each Thursday. That was something that hit me... sitting in a room knowing that all 50 some people tested positive and knowing what that meant for their future. I have never seen such malnourished women in my life. It's hard to know whether it's cause from the disease or poverty, but likely a bit of each. One lady looked like a skeleton covered with skin. It was sickening.

Paulina (6 yrs.) and living with HIV
My final project is going to HardtHaven Children's Home in the afternoons. This is a place I have long been connected through but only online. I met the founder, Joy Hardt, who happens to be from Spokane and attended WSU College of Nursing, back in 2007 and since have followed the development of the orphanage and the children residing there. It was actually surreal to be playing with the children in person and already know some of their names. Six children in the home are living with HIV. The volunteers get to spend time tutoring or helping with homework, playing games, etc. It's a sad thought but as I am interacting with the children, watching them play with the legos, read story books, color, play soccer, seeing their school books and uniforms along with the rest of their clothes, and knowing that each volunteer brings items to donate, it hit me that although these children have a very painful history and some likely do not have a good future r/t the disease, they have it far better off than those in the community. They have a loving family environment. They get to attend school and receive an education. They have more than one outfit to wear. They get food. They have toys. They get individual attention. It's horrible but they are more fortunate in a way than those around them. With that aside, I do love each one and have enjoyed getting to know their unique personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment