Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 54-57

"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever!"

Due to a financial donation, my roommates Morena, Irene, and myself had the opportunity to participate in a special outreach program on Monday because it was a national holiday in Ghana celebrated by the Muslim population. To my surprise, the entire morning exceeded my expectations!!! We were guided through the town of Moree where we came to a dead end of the road. From there we had to walk on the beautiful coastline for about 20 minutes before reaching our true destination- a very small and secluded village named Ahona. Every house was made of thatch roof and mud. There is no running water or electricity. A well sat in the middle of the village for locals to use to access water, filling yellow plastic jugs and carrying them away on their heads. Goats and chickens roam free like any other place in Ghana. The majority of the children wore torn or dirty clothes and no shoes. There were also no stores to buy goods. It basically seemed like a really big family community. I have a feeling we were the first whites to ever step foot on the sand of Ahona based on the reactions of adults and children alike. Some just stared and were afraid at first whereas others just smiled and wanted to be held of even just touch my skin.

Our "pharmacy"
We met the chief of the village who ordered locals to get chairs and benches for our "clinic". It was set up right on the beach in the mix of all the huts. Our job was to distribute medicines based on the complaints. Most of the adults had general body pains and muscle aches. The children usually a fever, poor eating, or skin conditions. The worst feeling is not being able to help everyone or once the medications ran out. Malaria is perceived as a common cold here. It's sad knowing the high mortality rate in children <5 years if left untreated. Proper precautions are not taken for protection such as use of bednets or staying indoors after dark. Unfortunately antimalarials were not among our supply of drugs to distribute so many were left untreated. Crowds of people were surrounding us waiting to receive anything. It often felt like they made things up just to get something but either way it was an incredible experience to hand things out. A few guys from a church came to help translate needs and also supplied us with pop and a meat pie as a snack. Later someone climbed the palm tree directly in front of us and cut down fresh coconuts to try. The hospitality was beyond belief coming from people who literally have nothing and treating us like some kind of royalty. All I kept saying the entire day was "Wow! Wow! Wow!" I was so amazed by the opportunity to do such a thing! I felt like it's something I can do day after day and never get tired of it. Seeing the people so thankful for an analgesic or antifungal cream, 10 paracetamol tablets, or a bottle of cough syrup or children's vitamins was really eye opening to how accessible healthcare is for me. Here they have to walk to town for medical treatment, education, market, etc. A child was begging for a water sachet and crouched down crying when I said we didn't have any. It puts important things into perspective which are all based on survival mode- having clean drinking water, where your next meal will come from, a safe place to sleep for the night, family support, and putting all other hope and faith in God! My hope is to find a way to donate to other villages which likely share a similar story. It's impossible to help everyone but the few whose lives were touched taught me about simplicity and pure compassion. I wish I had more pictures to show for it because in my mind the day was perfect! Instead I am left with the mental images of what I was able to experience and trust me, it was so beautiful both the people and the scenery of Ahona!
Irene and Morena distributing medications

It seems like the majority of my days are being spent involved in outreach programs as opposed to the hospital but it has been so enjoyable! More people seem to be attending the leprosy camp for regular dressing changes and those who are not able to make it are visited at their homes. Going door to door lets the people know we really care about their treatments and the importance of changing the wounds daily. I learned today that Mr. Mensah (the gentleman who we took to the hospital last week on account of a severe pressure ulcer) has passed away. It's hard to know whether we made a difference in hopefully making the end of his life more comfortable or if it would've been better for him to die in his own home. Either way, at the condition we found him in, death was inevitable. I truly believe he is in a better place now. I attempted to visit his wife and daughter to send my condolences but nobody was home. It was my last day at the camp. One patient in particular started to tear up when I said goodbye. I assured him more volunteers would come so he could continue to receive care. I guess it's a sign of the impact I was able to make on his life. He ended by saying "God bless you, God bless your family!" All of the children got a small gift. They gathered around, took the baggie which had two exercise books, two pens, and some stickers, then went to Morena to get either a small plastic doll or a race car, then went on to receive a slice of bread. It was such a blessing to be able to provide something small in appreciation for making us feel welcome. They all left immediately after getting their gifts and went home in groups to play with their new belongings. When we were walking around afterward, many of the kids had the stickers on their faces! They all said thank you so many times! It was hard to say goodbye knowing the likelihood of me ever seeing the children of Ankaful again is poor and trying to imagine their future growing up in the current conditions. I am so pleased to have been able to hold Doris for hours on end and stare at here endless smile, accept Onasis's developmental disabilities despite how he is treated by the community, take Majua to the hospital and watch the improvement in her legs, and just hang out with all the others sharing biscuits and juice or letting them play with my hair. I love them all:)


At the Adisadel Urban Health Clinic, I was able to weigh a handful of children using the slings and hanging them to gravity. I then went to the immunization table where I began by tallying which vaccines were being given and observed their technique and process. There is no cleansing of the kin prior to injection, the same vial is used for multiple patients, and the vial isn't cleaned before drawing up the meds. However, the nurses are really set on making sure the vials are stored in the cooler at all times unless actively pulling back the plunger on the syringe. I shared the role of giving injections later in the morning with a Ghanaian nursing student. Some of the mothers didn't seem quite sure with me giving their baby a shot whereas others could care less. I only gave about 10 children their due immunizations plus additional OPV and rotavirus vaccines, when the clinic became so busy the nurse took over and I continued with keeping records. Out of all the things people in Ghana take leisurely and not efficient with their time, giving vaccines is the one thing they rush through without question. I was glad to get a little of experience though.

The entire day rained creating puddles of mud and making for a mandatory foot cleaning party in the evening. We went out to Oasis for a going away dinner with a group of Projects Abroad volunteers. I ordered a chicken sandwich but instead was given a burger. Since it was already prepared they don't waste food here. Therefore I had to eat what I was given, not what I ordered... not a sense of customer service but it was still delicious!

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments but what is woven into the lives of others!"

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather, your blog often leaves me without words. You are doing amazing work and the people are so lucky you have touched upon their lives, and they among your life.
    One time I ordered a burger in Techiman, I was given a sandwich which they insisted was a burger...I just ordered some chicken instead hahaha.

    ReplyDelete